Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hiccups and Random Updates

I can't believe it's been almost a month since we last posted! We'll try to be better at keeping up with this. :) Here is a video and some random bits of information.

Matthias gets the hiccups all the time...poor kid! This video shows one of the first times he got the hiccups once we got him home from the hospital. If I remember correctly, he was only a few days old. (Sorry that it is sideways...I can't figure out how to rotate it upright since it's a video.)






On February 9, Matthias had his 2-week doctor's appointment. He is 100% healthy and we found out that he weighed 8 pounds 11 ounces, which meant he had gained almost 2 ounces a day since coming home from the hospital!! Makes sense, since he loves to eat... He is probably over 10 pounds now, or maybe even 11? He is getting pretty chubby and has already outgrown a couple of newborn items of clothing.

Matthias is now 5 weeks old and is very expressive. He makes all kinds of fun faces and noises. He is starting to smile more and more, which completely melts our hearts! Here is a recent picture of one of his smiles (I'm hoping to catch one of his really big, open-mouth smiles on camera soon!)



For his first few weeks, one of his favorite things to look at was a set of black wrought-iron wall decorations, probably because they hang on a very light-colored wall. Experts say that babies see black-and-white patterns best as newborns and prefer to look at them over anything else (except human faces), which seemed to be true of Matthias. Now he is starting to focus more on our faces. He seems to be more awake and alert every day. Most of the time, he is pretty content to just look around the room at everything and everyone, taking it all in.

Jason and I got some wonderful news last week from my brother and sister-in-law...they are having another baby! It was a big surprise, but a GREAT one! :) I'm so excited to meet him or her (due October 20, 2 days before my birthday) and become an aunt again for the 4th time. I'm also very excited for Matthias to have a cousin right around his age. I can't wait to see them play together and become good friends.

Here are a few more pictures of Matthias, from 3-4 weeks old. Isn't he precious?

-Melissa






2 comments:

  1. He is adorable! You are so blessed to have a content baby, I'm hoping that my next one will be. Amaya cried and cried for about the first 9 months, possibly longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On that second to last one he looks like a standup comedian. "And then I said...Campbell's ... MMM...good...possibilities" or whatever that commercial is.
    Heart you guys.
    Tam

    ReplyDelete